What is Craniosacral Therapy
Craniosacral Therapy is a modern technique of subtle and profound healing that uses a very light touch to balance our craniosacral system, which includes the nerves, bones, fluids and membranes connecting the whole body to the spinal and cerebral area.
Craniosacral Therapy represents a noninvasive and delicate approach towards pain and body’s rehabilitation on all levels.
It has been developed in the early 1900 by the osteopathic physician Dr. W. Sutherland, who had discovered the subtle connection between the movement of the cranial bones and the general state of well-being of the entire body.
Later on, the American teacher and scientist Dr. John Upledger, together with his team from the State University of Michigan set the basis for the Craniosacral Therapy by establishing Upledger International Institute, where this modern form of treatment was being studied and practiced. You can find a series of studies and articles on the Institute’s website.
Conditions and effects
The Craniosacral Therapy focuses on maintaining a good general health condition and it is highly effective. It can help with following issues:
• Regaining the normal mobility of the cranial bones and membranes
• Eliminating abnormal obstructions and tensions of the fascia
• Eliminating the tensions and obstructions of the central nervous system
• Optimizing the movement of cerebrospinal fluid
• Repositioning and realigning the bones to their normal structure (helping with spinal problems, conditions of the hips, shoulders, knees etc)
• Alleviates problems related to the intrauterine period and birth
• Migraines and headaches
• Chronic neck and back pain
• Motor-coordination impairments
• Stress and tension-related problems
• Traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries
• Chronic fatigue
• Scoliosis, other spinal deformities
• Central nervous system disorders
• Emotional difficulties
• Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
• Learning disabilities
• Post-traumatic stress disorder
• Orthopedic problems
Craniosacral Therapy for children and infants
The Craniosacral Therapy is particularly useful in treating children and infants, as it releases the tensions that usually follow the birth process, especially in the case of a problematic or difficult delivery, caesarian section or usage of specific medical tools. All these tensions can be reflected by a state of annoyance, feeding difficulties and slow or abnormal development of the child, symptoms that often manifest long after birth.
• helps achieving a structural balance and ensures a healthy growth
• helps the child develop to his full physical, mental and emotional potential
• facilitates an easier, more relaxed child growth program
The Craniosacral Therapy session
During the Craniosacral Therapy session, you will remain fully clothed; the practitioner will apply very light pressure (maximum 5 grams) on certain points located around the head, neck, hips or legs.
This post is also available in: Romanian